Tuesday, May 2, 2017

JN134 Week 3 Blog Forum

Topic 1: Two Portrait Subjects
1. David Stauth
2. David, recently retired, wrote press releases for research at OSU for over 20 years.
3. I'm hoping to get pictures of him at home and at OSU.
4. Props that would work best would be his computer, a newspaper, or his boat.
5. I will hopefully be able to meet with David soon, he's been traveling in recent weeks to celebrate his retirement.

Topic 2:
1. I think the best photo I've taken for this class was of Rebeccah Fewless during the Ekphrasis show. I like the angle that the photo was taken at, both laterally and vertically. I think all of the red in the left of the frame in Rebeccah's hair and shirt contrasted with all the white in the right of the frame does something aesthetically that makes me like the picture. What really makes me like this picture is Rebeccah's expression and clearly passionate focus on her artwork that draws in attention. I do think I could have gotten more of her face (and used something better than my iPhone camera) but I think it's a good photo overall.
2. I think the worst photo I've taken for this class is of Christopher Mikkelson at Interzone in Corvallis. The picture is grainy and washed out from my ISO being too high. The focus isn't particularly sharp. The two heads out of focus close to the camera are distracting. I should have gotten closer and lowered the camera, angling up so I could lower the ISO and get more of the available light.
3. The most important skills for me to improve are finding the correct settings and good angles. I have improved a lot since taking the picture of Mikkelson at Interzone but I still have a lot to learn. I need to learn how to change angles to better utilize the available light and eliminate as much of the unwanted light and shadows as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment