Thursday, January 12, 2017

Week 1 JN216 Blog Forum

Topic 1: About Me
1. I chose to enroll in this course because I'm majoring in Journalism.
2. I'm majoring in Journalism.
3. I am most interested in learning about technical aspects of Journalism like formatting. I'm also interested in gaining a better understanding of how to present stories in interesting and creative ways without sounding unprofessional.
4. I'm a musician. I've been writing music for a little over ten years and playing guitar for the last seven years.

Topic 2: My Three Goals
1. I need to learn more about approaching interviewees. Although I'm comfortable with my ability to conduct an interview, it's the process of getting those interviews started that I need to work on.
2. I want to improve my ability to write concise, brief news pieces. I'm used to writing longer essays and opinion columns.
3. I want to network with other Journalism majors and hopefully find people to peer review my work. I find critique from peers is often very helpful for me.

Topic 3: My First News Story
1. I'm writing a piece about how LBCC could be more inclusive to people within LGBTQ+ communities.
2. My three sources will be GSA President Ceph Poklemba, English department chair Karelia Stetz-Waters, and Instructor/GSA adviser Tim Black(if I can get in contact with him).
3. The five questions I'm going to have answered are: What efforts are already being undertaken to increase inclusion of LGBTQ+ people? Who is pursuing those efforts? What else can be done in addition to current efforts? How long would the changes take to be in place? Why do people feel it's important to improve conditions on campus for people in LGBTQ+ communities?

No comments:

Post a Comment