Monday, January 16, 2017

JN201 Media Blog Forum 1

Topic 1
-My name is K. Rambo, I'm going to LB because it's the only school I've found that would accept credits from the first college I went to.
-I don't really have a specific dream job, I would love to do most anything in the realm of journalism. I've always thought being a sports writer would be fun because it's easy, you get paid to travel, and you get plenty of time off between seasons. Jobs, to me, are something I have to do so I may do the things I want to do.
-I can't say there's one thing about the media that I'm most interested in learning, everything outside of writing is completely new to me, so I guess everything.
-I don't have a favorite season, uniquely beautiful things happen at different times of the year and I appreciate them all.
-Aside from school and what I'm going to school for, my biggest passion has to be music. I've been writing music for over ten years and spent a couple years playing all over the country. I'm also a guitar teacher which is something I'm very passionate about.

Topic 2
-Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution, By Peter Kropotkin is a book I find myself going back to frequently. I gave my copy of this book to a friend and looked online for a free pdf version. Kropotkin laid much of the groundwork for early horizontalist social theory. I think it's interesting to read theories that dispel the idea that humans are innately selfish. Kropotkin studied Darwin heavily and was one of the first people to challenge the individualistic view of Darwin's work that was propagated by modern industrialists and capitalists which claimed "survival of the fittest" as a justification and normalization of the suffering of oppressed people.
I believe the website is owned by the IWW or Industrial Workers of the World, an Anarcho-Syndicalist union that was prominent in the early 1900's.
https://ecology.iww.org/PDF/Kropotkin/Mutual%20Aid.pdf

-StewMac Trade Secrets: "Good tone from 0-10: easy clip-on mod" is a video on stewmac.com showing how to maintain tone with volume reduction in an electric guitar by performing a simple clip-on modification. I do all my maintenance and customization on my guitars and StewMac is a website that I frequently peruse for new ideas and instructions for things I'm unfamiliar with. I first became familiar with StewMac when buying parts for a guitar I rebuilt several years ago and then found their extensive DIY database. StewMac is owned by Stewart-Macdonald Manufacturing Company, INC.
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Good_tone_from_0-10_easy_clip-on_mod.html

-Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (YouTube). Stevie Wonder is one of my favorite musicians and this is one of my favorite songs. I tend to open YouTube and pick a song I like and just let the playlist play. The song is owned by Stevie Wonder and Motown Records (which is owned by UMG, which is owned by Vivendi), although the video was posted by a fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6fPN5aQVDI

-Slow Blues Backing Track in D (YouTube). A lot of times, when I'm having a rough day, I put on (less than ideal) blues instrumentals so I can play guitar solos for five minutes straight without angering anyone, which I most certainly would do if I played a five-minute guitar solo in band practice. I'm pretty sure this is owned by "FooTracks" which posts backing tracks for people to play along with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYsj3hEFI8

No comments:

Post a Comment