Wednesday, June 7, 2017

JN134 - Week 10 Blog Post

Topic 1: Your best photojournalism
1. I think the best photo I took was the overall from my feature/news set.

2. Although, probably not a conventional choice, I really like the angle and how much of the hall I got. I think there's a nice transition from light to dark and the darkness of the hallway gives way to the light of the open room. I also find it interesting that the people on the right are somewhat lined up, pointing your eyes towards the reader.

3. I used to just "take pictures," with no intent or really understanding of how to get a truly compelling photo. I used to think it was mostly luck, based on timing and circumstance. It still is a lot of luck, but you can do some great work by learning about composition.

4. My skills have improved a lot. I mean it's really day and night. I struggled to get anything resembling proper settings and focus. My photos from the Interzone poetry event are kind of embarassing at this point, I was too far, my settings were way off, I wasn't focusing properly.


Topic 2: Your Goals
I have a lot of goals for this class.
1. My largest goal is learning how to manipulate settings on a camera to really get great photos in different environments.
Response: I think I really improved on this skill. In fact: I know I did by looking back on the photos I took this term. Not only do I know how to use the settings, I can change them quickly and have a faint idea of what it will look like before I even take a picture.

2. I want to learn how to quickly get a good depth of field and learn how to alter the depth of field once I have one.
Response: I haven't improved quite as much as I would have liked to on this one, but I have gotten better. I at least know the settings that effect the depth of field but it still takes me a while to get them where I want.


3. I want to get at least one really good action shot at a baseball game, it seems very challenging and I think that would be a good benchmark for progress.
Response: Well, obviously this one didn't happen but my soccer action shots turned out pretty well and I think I could take good pictures at a baseball game. I actually hope to get credentials for the Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs AAA) next year and take some great pictures at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment