Sunday, April 9, 2017

JN217 Week 1 Blog Forum

Topic 1:

  • I am writing a piece detailing the recent executive orders and presidential memorandum eliminating environmental regulations and a lot of money for research. I am going to focus on people who depend on research grants and how their work will be effected.
  • David Stauth: Stauth writes a lot of press releases about research being done at OSU.
  • OSU Researcher (TBN): A researcher who can describe the differences in the funding they can receive for their work. 
  • OSU Student: An OSU student who is effected by the loss of funding.
  • The Trump administration has made large budget cuts for forestry and environmental science funding. Students and researchers at OSU are losing their funding. 


Topic 2: My Goals
  • I want to learn how to write profile pieces better. Although I liked my profile piece from last term on Sami, it wasn't quite a profile piece. I want to improve at interviewing people and building a narrative.
  • I want to improve at writing opinion pieces. I often find difficulty in achieving the tone I would like to. Specifically, I want to learn how to make strong statements that draw attention, but not so strong that they are incendiary or distracting from evidence being prevented.
  • I really want to improve my knowledge of AP style and ability to catch AP style errors. It's a very important for me to be familiar with AP style by the time I start at Iowa State.

No comments:

Post a Comment