Friday, March 17, 2017

JN216 Week 10 Blog Forum

1. My three goals were improving at approaching interviewees, writing shorter news pieces, and meeting other journalists who can offer critiques. I feel that I was able to accomplish all of these goals. I've become a lot more comfortable asking for interviews, in fact, I've come to really enjoy it. I really wanted to ask Ron Wyden a few more questions but he was looking for softballs, I still had a lot of fun trying to interview him. While there is certainly room for improvement, it's hard to believe I had never written a news piece before this class because I feel my writing has improved so much.
2. I honestly don't have a favorite. I think my lede from the Inauguration Protest article was awesome, I also really like my piece about the Unity Celebration. I guess I'd have to pick all of them because I covered several different types of stories and had to wear several hats.
3. I had to cut out most of the poetic and descriptive language I use when writing news, I had an extremely hard time doing so, initially. I feel like I've got immensely better and just getting the facts on paper but still allow a narrative to form so it's not too dry and then boring. When I started writing articles, I was always narrowing from 1500+ words and now it's more like 1000, which is a huge improvement.
4. I felt I learned a lot from the material on Moodle, but like anything else, I had to learn hands-on. I think one can read a lot about reporting, and it's helpful, but until you get out there, it's hard to understand how it works. I think it would be helpful for students who, like me, need hands-on education to go as a class to cover an event and shadow an experienced reporter.
5. I really liked "The Corpse Had a Familiar Face." I learned broader picture lessons about how to conduct myself, and a few specifics while reading all the incredible stories she was weaving into her narrative. I think it's a good book to have young reporters read, especially those who don't realize most reporters are a little hardcore because most reporting is a little hardcore. Obviously, not all of us will be reporting in a place like Miami in that time period, but it really drove home that most reporters will see things they never wanted to and be in positions they never wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment