Friday, February 17, 2017

JN216 Week 6 Blog Forum

Topic 1:
1. I would say the biggest thing I learned from Kyle was the importance of being willing to pursue less than ideal opportunities and work my way up the ladder. He had several smaller writing jobs before getting a full-time job as a reporter. Another important takeaway was to keep looking for work even if you are a full-time writer. Kyle works for AP in addition to his job at Mid-Valley and it definitely had some perks in addition to supplemental income. Kyle also confirmed my thought that it's a good idea to write about various topics (even if it's not in print and I'm not getting paid) and build a diverse portfolio. By having a diverse portfolio of published work, I'm more likely to find a good job as a reporter.

2. A piece of information from Kyle that will help me with my last few stories is that I don't necessarily need to force myself to use strictly a funnel style for reporting. I think I can use a little more of a diamond shape like Kyle talked about to build more of an interesting narrative to the news.

Topic 2:
I'm going to cover the Stemming from the Feminine art exhibit on campus with Marie Arnold where she is doing a brief talk and Q&A about her work.
It is on Thursday, Feb. 23 with artist Marie Arnold, recent LBCC graduate at the Calapooia Center Gallery. I will be going to take pictures of the art before the event and talking with people who are attending and organizing. Following the event, I will essentially be doing the same thing.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment